Honey Crusted Walleye
Honey Crusted Walleye is a classic dish from the “Land of 1000 Lakes” that truly celebrates the deliciousness of this beloved fresh water fish. This recipe is simple, succulent, sweet and crispy. We promise, you will love everything about this dish!
Have you tried walleye before? If not, you are in for a treat today. Here at Sizzlefish, we get our wild caught walleye from the fresh waters of Lake Erie. This fish is widely regarded as one of the best tasting fresh water fish available. Upon opening the individually sealed packages, you will notice that there is absolutely no fish odor to the fillets. Another thing we absolutely love about cooking with walleye is that the thick fillets are incredible easy to work with. While we all love the delicate varieties of fish from time to time, sometimes working with a fish that doesn’t fall apart on you while cooking is such a relief. The mild flavor of walleye make it easy to season this fish however you like. We absolutely loved the combination of sweet buttery crackers and honey in this recipe. Walleye is also incredibly delicious to either sautée or oven roast with butter, herbs and lemon too. It’s a flexible fish that is sure to please everyone at your dinner table.
With this dish, we decided to sautée fresh summer squash from the farmer’s market with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Along with that we added some fresh mustard greens and tomatoes. The mustard greens were a vibrant contrast to the sweet drizzle of honey we added to the fish. The recipe seems a little more involved since you’re breading the fillets, but it really comes together fast. If you have everything prepped and ready to go, you could have this delicious dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
Honey Crusted Walleye Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6-4 oz Walleye Fillets
- ¾ tsp Season Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 2 cups Crushed Ritz Crackers
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 TBSP Honey
- ¼ cup Oil
- Lemon Wedges
- Chopped Fresh Parsley, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat the walleye fillets dry. Season the fillets with season salt and pepper.
- In a food processor or a large zip lock bag, crush the crackers to a fine cracker crumb. Place the crumbs in a wide rimmed bowl.
- In a separate wide rimmed bowl, whisk together the egg and honey until well blended.
- Heat 2 TBSP oil to medium low in a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
- Next dip your seasoned walleye fillets in the egg mixture and then into the cracker crumbs. Making sure you evenly coat the fillets.
- Place the fillets in the heated oil. It’s best to work in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Cook the fillets for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned, then gently flip and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Place the golden brown fillets on the lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges, an extra drizzle of honey and chopped fresh parsley.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Featured Seafood Recipes
A flavorful and incredibly simple to make, this quick and delicious Salmon Burger Recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Continue Reading →
This recipe for Shrimp Scampi satisfies in both flavor and ease of preparation. This dish is loaded with seared shrimp swirled with a delicious combination of spaghetti and zoodles, and brightened with a silky lemon butter sauce.
Continue Reading →
This Sweet and Spicy Garlic grouper is a healthier take on the usual fried grouper you get in restaurants. Quick, easy, juicy and incredibly flavorful this recipe is perfect for when you want that restaurant cooked flavor, but want to stay in for a home cooked meal. This dish is the best of both worlds.
Continue Reading →