Smoky Blackened Haddock Fish Tacos
Rated 3.6 stars by 30 users
We’re spicing up taco night with these blackened fish tacos! A smoky spice blend coats tender haddock before searing to perfection. Finished with a tropical mango salsa, this recipe has all the makings for a fiesta done right!
Sizzlefish Haddock is a wild caught North Atlantic white fish caught off the coast of Iceland. This mild fish is closely related to cod. It has a clean flavor making it popular across Northern Europe. The portions of haddock arrive individually vacuum packaged for conveniently grabbing and thawing as needed.
If you enjoy the flavor of cod in recipes, you’re sure to love haddock. Haddock contains twice the amount of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids as cod for a fish with health benefits to boot. Haddock is also rich in B-vitamins 12, 6 and 3 supporting cell function, energy levels and healthy brain function.
The ingredients in this recipe will send taste buds dancing but are easily found in most grocery stores. Smoky cumin and chili powder coat the fish before searing, creating a crisp outside while the inside stays tender and flaky.
Mango stands out in the salsa Fresca with juicy tropical flavor and sweetness that compliments the smokiness of the fish. Fresh lime juice, cilantro, and tomatoes add brightness and fresh flavor.
Tacos are served over warmed tortillas and finished with a creamy chipotle sour cream. Chipotle en adobo sauce is found in a small can in the international food aisle of grocery stores. Chipotle en adobo are smoked jalapeños that are added to a sweet, tangy purée of tomatoes and spices. It takes recipes to the next level with minimal extra work. The smoky flavor adds depth and richness to the tacos.
This is a crowd-pleasing recipe for anyone that loves spicy food. It’s also easy to control the amount of heat by using less jalapeño or chipotle peppers. Corn or flour tortillas can both be used in this recipe depending on your preference.
1 lb. Haddock
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil for cooking
- 8 tortillas for serving, warmed
1 cup chopped ripe mango
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeño
- 1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle en adobo sauce with 2 tbsp sauce from can
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
For Mango Salsa
For Chipotle Sour Cream
Combine ingredients for chipotle sour cream in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
- Stir together ingredients for mango salsa in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Refrigerate until serving.
- Blot moisture from haddock using paper towels. Add haddock to a shallow bowl and season with chili powder, cumin and salt. Use hands to coat fish with seasonings on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Place slices of haddock in hot pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- Break fish into large chunks and serve on warm tortillas topped with mango salsa and chipotle sour cream.