Perfectly Seared Scallops - Every Time
- 4 Sizzlefish scallops
- 1 Shallot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ garlic clove
- 2 tbsp butter
Important Note: The key to a really great sear is having the scallops completely dry. Pat down with paper towel several times before beginning. And just when you think they are dry, do it one more time! You can also lightly dust the scallop bottom with flour.
- Turn heat on in cast iron or non-stick skillet to medium high heat.
- Once pan is hot, pour in your tablespoon of avocado oil (or olive oil, I chose avocado oil because of higher smoke point) into pan. Once it begins to “shimmer”, it’s time to start cooking.
- Place diced shallots into pan and stir around until translucent. At this point, the pan should be “sizzling”. Next, stir in the minced garlic and gently place the dry sea scallops about an inch apart from one another.
- Let the scallops do their thing. Do not move them around or it will effect your perfect sear. This generally takes 2-3 minutes depending on the heat of the pan. You will begin to notice a brown crust forming on the edge of your scallops. This is indicative that they are ready to flip.
- Flip your scallops and now add in the butter. Gently stir the scallops into your garlic butter sauce for approximately 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and serve/enjoy immediately