Easy Gluten Free Paella (Texas Style)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cups of long-grain white rice
- 1½ cups chicken or veggie stock
- ½ cup of diced fresh or canned tomatoes, strained
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili pepper or cayenne
- sea salt/ black pepper
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ⅓ cup chopped bacon or pork (optional)
- 1 cup or about 6-8oz of cooked salmon (chopped)
- 1 cup black eyed peas
- lemon juice
- Optional- chopped cilantro mixed in.
- optional toppings- Avocado and/or roasted red bell peppers
- First cook your rice in the broth. Once it’s ready, add in your tomatoes, garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin, and dash of salt.
- In another pan or large skillet, sautee your zucchini and onions with garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, cayenne, and a dash of black pepper/sea salt. Once it’s about done, add in your cooked salmon, pork, and drained peas. Add a little lemon juice on top and stir in skillet until mixture is hot and everything is cooked through.
- Serve your rice first then salmon/pea mixture on top! Add cilantro or chili pepper and even avocado to garnish!
If you are sensitive to peas, I would try soaking the black-eyed peas overnight in a large pot before cooking them. You can also just use canned peas and drain the juice.