Garlic Herbed Ghee Scallops (gluten free, sugar free, nut free)
These garlic herbed scallops cooked in ghee are a delicious protein to top any grain for a yummy and hearty meal! Making scallops is super easy and quick. It is one of my go-to meals when I am pressed for time. For this recipe, I added in fresh thyme and parsley and lemon juice to add some citrus and flavor! These scallops are ready in less than 20 minutes from start to finish!
Why scallops are a great seafood option?
Scallops are said to be one of the healthiest seafood choices as they are high in protein, have magnesium, potassium, and are full of vitamins and minerals!
What you will need for this recipe:
Scallops: I use sustainably sourced and flash frozen scallops, a process that keeps them super fresh and higher in nutrients
Ghee: I love using ghee in lieu of butter because it is lactose free, has a high smoke point of over 500, and supposedly has powerful healing properties
Fresh Thyme: you can substitute 1 tsp of dried thyme if you do not have fresh thyme available
To defrost scallops: if I am taking them out of the freezer the same day, I remove them from the freezer and place them in a sealed plastic bag and place them in a bowl with room temperature water (which takes about 1 hour to defrost). If I am taking them out from the freezer a day in advance, I will put them in a container covered with Bee’s Wrap and leave them in the refrigerator to defrost
Remove the little hard muscle piece that can be found on the scallops
Let ghee heat up in the pan before adding the scallops to it
No ghee? You can use avocado or extra virgin olive oil instead
How to store:
Scallops can be stored in a sealed airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- 8oz scallops
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 large garlic cloves or 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon
- Wash and rinse scallops under cold water and remove the scallop muscle (the little piece that sticks out on the scallop).
- Heat a 10’’ skillet or pan over medium heat and add ghee. Let it get hot and then add in garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until it starts to become fragrant.
- Add scallops to the pan and cook 4-5 minutes per side, until they look white instead of translucent. Add in the parsley and thyme and once you flip scallops over, add in a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Once done, top your scallops with more lemon juice and herbs and enjoy plain or over brown rice or any grain of your choice!
Recipe Credits: Jamie @ Girlswhoeat.com