DescriptionLentil Shrimp Jambalaya combines the flavor of shrimp and the heartiness of Andouille Italian Sausage into a healthy and flavorful shrimp dish that is straight from the bayou.
- 1 cup lentils (uncooked) or 2 cups cooked
- 10 ounces medium peeled shrimp
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- ½ tsp gluten free worchestire sauce
- 2 cups chopped okra (fresh or frozen)
- ⅔ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 170 grams or 1¼ cup diced cooked andouille sausage or chicken sausage (gluten free brand)
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp onion salt or sea salt
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp smoked paprika or cajun creole seasoning blend (feel free to add more if you like)
- crushed red pepper
- dash of black pepper
- optional parmesan topping
- First make sure your lentils is cooked. it's easy to just use leftover lentils and sausage for this dish. But if you are making it from scratch then directions to cook those are below.
- For best health, soak lentils overnight first. If you don't have time to soak, just rinse them thoroughly.
- For lentils, use 3 cups of liquid (water or broth) to 1 cup of rinsed lentils.
- Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Drain the lentils and set aside in a bowl.
- Once lentils are done, use that same pot or skillet for cooking everything else. Be sure to drain the water or broth first though.
- Add your onion, celery, seasoning, oil or butter, and shrimp to the skillet/pot. Add in sausage here too if it's uncooked. If you are using pre cooked sausage then add that later with lentils.
- Sautee onions, celery, shrimp, oil, seasoning on medium to medium high heat for a few minutes to coat the pan.
- Then add in the rest of your veggies and worcestershire sauce and sautee all together until veggies are tender and shrimp and sausage are almost cooked through. About 8 - 10 minutes on medium to medium high.
- Last add in your lentils, tomato sauce, and any remaining ingredients you'd like to add in.
- stir and cook on medium low to medium heat until everything is cooked through and sauce is warmed.Should be only a few minutes or so.
- Serve into bowls and top with red pepper flakes, a dash of black pepper, and parmesan if desired.
Recipe by Cotter Crunch at http://www.cottercrunch.com/