How to Make Tuna Maki (Sushi Roll)
Did you know that the superior quality of SizzleFish Ahi Tuna makes it perfect for homemade sushi rolls? We know there are many fears people have with making their own sushi rolls at home, one of them being the safety of eating raw fish. Well, Sizzlefish has taken that worry away by packaging our Yellowfin Ahi Tuna in a way that retains its peak freshness and quality so you can enjoy it at home without worry. This ahi tuna sushi recipe is so easy you’re going to make your taste buds and your wallet happy. It’s so much easier to make sushi at home than you think and it’s a lot of fun once you get going. With a little bit of prep and your favorite fresh ingredients, you’ll be rolling sushi like a pro in no time.
What Do I Need to Make Sushi?
You don’t need to have too many kitchen tools to make homemade sushi, but there are some that will make it easier. The bamboo mat is not a must, but they are extremely inexpensive and it really does make the process of rolling a tight sushi roll easier. We also highly recommend covering your bamboo mat well with plastic wrap to keep the mat clean to use another time.
- a bamboo mat
- plastic wrap
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- bowl of warm water
- kitchen towel
What Should I Put in My Sushi?
Making sushi at home is great since you really can customize your rolls with whatever filling you want. The ingredient combinations are endless. You want to make sure you are using the freshest ingredients possible though. Here’s what you will need for the Ahi Tuna Sushi Rolls:
Is it Hard to Make Sushi?
Having fun is part of the process when making your own sushi rolls. The first thing you should do is focus on is enjoying the process. Make it an interactive event with friends. Everyone can bring their favorite vegetables to make sushi rolls then share with each other. Will they all be perfect? Maybe not, but they will all taste amazing and trust us, the experience of making your own sushi rolls at home will be memorable.
Ahi Tuna Sushi Rolls
Sticky Rice Ingredients
- 3 cups Short Grain Sushi Rice
- 4 cups Water, plus extra for rinsing
- 2 TBSP Rice Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
Sushi Roll Ingredients
- 10 Sheets Roasted Nori
- 2 Fillets Sizzlefish Yellowfin Ahi Tuna, thawed and thinly sliced
- 1 English Cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, thinly sliced
- Soy Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce
- Pickled Ginger
- Start by rinsing the rice until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice and water in a medium pot.
- Bring the rice to a boil uncovered on high heat.
- Once boiling, cover the rice and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and cut the mixture with a rice paddle or wooden spoon to incorporate the mixture throughout the rice without stirring it too much which will make it starchy.
- Once combined, place a damp paper towel over the rice. Allow the rice to cool.
- To make the rolls: lay a sheet of nori on top of a plastic lined bamboo mat, shiny side down with the lines facing up.
- Wet your fingers with water, then gently press about ¼ to ½ cup of rice over the nori leaving the edge away from you clear of rice. The rice layer should be thin, about 2 grains thick.
- Place a thin layer of vegetables, then a layer of ahi tuna on the rice about an inch away from the side closest to you.
- Using the bamboo mat to gently guide the roll, start rolling the nori over the toppings insuring to roll tightly.
- With a sharp knife, slice the roll in half, then those halves in half and then cut them in half again to make 8 cuts.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sauces.