Air Fried Calamari Recipe
This recipe for Air Fried Calamari is a delicious and healthier version than the deep-fried alternative. Thanks to the batter and flour method, you will end up with a perfectly golden crispy seafood treat.
Did you know that calamari is a very healthy seafood choice? It has high levels of Omega-3s, protein, vitamins B2 and B12, phosphorus, calcium, and zinc. Phosphorus and calcium are key building blocks of bones and teeth, while vitamin B12 has been found to recipe the risk of heart attack or stroke. These are just a few reasons to buy our freshly frozen calamari! Sizzlefish’s superior calamari is caught fresh in the North Atlantic and frozen at peak freshness. Our calamari has a light and buttery flavor that works beautifully in this recipe.
Let’s talk about this recipe, shall we? If you are intimidated by frying then the air fryer is a great place to start. It’s definitely an easier and healthier approach to the normal deep frying method. We decided to go with a batter and flour method to give the calamari that beautifully golden coating. Spraying the coated calamari with olive oil helps make that crust stay on while also helping it brown up beautifully. We served ours with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1-2 Hours
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 16oz package Sizzlefish Calamari
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 5 to 6 oz Carbonated Water
- 1 Egg
- ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, for dredging
- Olive Oil Spray
- Lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat the air fryer to 400. Set an extra sheet pan aside for the battered calamari and another sheet pan lined with paper towels for the cooked calamari.
- Cut the calamari into ½ inch rings.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, seasoned salt, baking powder, and black pepper. Next, add 5 ounces carbonated water and egg to the flour mixture. Whisk well to combine. Add the last ounce of water if needed to make a thick batter. Set this aside.
- In a pie plate or shallow bowl, place the flour for dredging.
- First, taking a few calamari at a time, and coat them in the batter. Next, place the battered calamari in the flour. Then, place the floured calamari on the extra sheet pan to hold it while you work with the remaining calamari.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, spray the tray with the olive oil spray. Place the calamari in the tray allowing room for air to flow around them. Spray the tops with olive oil spray and cook for 7 minutes. Flip the pieces, spray them with olive oil spray and cook for an additional 7 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove them from the fryer to the paper towel-lined sheet pan. Taste to make sure they are seasoned to your taste. Add additional salt and pepper if needed. Work in batches until they are all cooked. Serve with lemon wedges.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.