This fiery shrimp recipe is perfect for any heat lovers! Succulent shrimp is tossed in a sweet and spicy firecracker sauce for a lip-smacking recipe that keeps you coming back for more.
Sizzlefish wild gulf shrimp is ideal with bite-sized succulent shrimp that is already peeled, deveined and tails are removed for the easiest preparation. Our wild caught gulf shrimp are caught off the Gulf of Mexico and arrive frozen in vacuum sealed portions. Simply thaw your portions of shrimp in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Gulf shrimp are a terrific source of brain and hearty healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Shrimp are also a terrific source of high-quality protein with amino acids that support muscle growth.
Firecracker shrimp is made with a spicy sauce that is balanced with sweet honey. Sriracha and chili flakes give this recipe its signature heat, but you can adjust the spiciness to fit your preference by using less of each. Different brands or sriracha can vary in heat levels so taste a small amount and adjust accordingly.
Fresh garlic adds aroma and flavor while soy sauce adds salty umami flavor. A splash of fresh lime juice adds a tangy flavor that pairs well with shrimp.
Shrimp is first fried in a light coating of cornstarch, creating a light yet crunchy coating for the firecracker sauce to stick to. It’s important that the oil is hot enough before adding the shrimp. Aim for oil to reach between 350º-375ºF. This will cook the shrimp quickly and prevent a soggy, oily result. Be sure to pat shrimp dry before coating in cornstarch for the crispiest shrimp.
Since the shrimp is fried, this recipe is best enjoyed hot for the best flavor. Serve this spicy shrimp recipe over rice, alongside steamed broccoli, on a salad or on lettuce cups for a complete meal!
- 4 portions Sizzlefish wild gulf shrimp, thawed
- 1/4 cornstarch
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds for serving
- 2 tbsp sliced jalapeños for serving
- For Firecracker Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Stir together ingredients for firecracker sauce in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Begin heating 1/2-inch of oil in a deep-frying pan over medium heat. Blot shrimp fry using paper towel and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch and use hands to coat shrimp on all sides.
- Working in two batches, fry shrimp for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer cooked shrimp to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Toss shrimp in firecracker sauce in a medium bowl. Serve hot garnished with sesame seeds and sliced jalapeños.