Healthy Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti Squash! Packed with flavor and simple to make. A lower carb meal with more nutrition by replacing pasta and a lightened up sauce with heart friendly ingredients.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb shrimp tail removed, deveined
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 3 saffron threads
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop the seeds out from the center and discard. Place the spaghetti squash in a microwave safe dish with 1/2 cup water.
- Cook on high 12-15 minutes or until the squash is tender. You can alternatively roast the squash in the oven at 400 F for 45 minutes. Once the squash is cooked, cool in the pan 10 minutes before removing the flesh.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Add the ghee and olive oil to the pan. Cook until the ghee is melted then add the parmesan and lemon juice.
- Once the parmesan has melted into the sauce add the garlic, red pepper flakes, saffron and cook 2-3 minutes to release the flavors then add the shrimp.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley flakes. Cook until shrimp is opaque 4-5 minutes.
- While the shrimp cooks, remove the flesh from the spaghetti squash skin and divide into 4 portions. Serve with the shrimp and sauce immediately or store in meal prep containers.
Recipe courtesy of Megan at www.skinnyfitalicious.com