Coconut Curry Sablefish
This recipe for Coconut Curry Sablefish is silky, vibrant, incredibly fragrant, and so delicious. Oh, and that coconut cream sauce with a touch of heat is heavenly!
Sablefish, also known as Black Cod, is a deliciously mild fish from the frigid waters of the North Pacific. This delicate white fish is not only delicious, but it’s packed with omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, both of which have a number of proven heart, brain, respiratory and other health benefits. Sablefish is also rich in vitamin B12 and low in mercury. With all these health benefits, that puts Sablefish right up there with the almighty salmon.
Now let’s talk about this curry dish…oh goodness, this dish is amazing. The combination of the fragrant spices from the curry paste, ginger and turmeric are absolutely intoxicating. Add in the creamy coconut milk and you have a sauce that is smooth and vibrant with flavor. Sizzlefish sablefish is the perfect complement for this sauce too. Gently searing the fish in a light olive oil gives it a beautiful golden crust while leaving the flaky fish soft and supple on the inside. The lime zest and juice added in the end add in a nice pop of flavor that perfectly complements the sweetness of the coconut milk with a hint of tang. We suggest going with a little less curry paste in the beginning and adjust as you need to for a little extra heat. Since all curry pastes are different, it’s better to be careful and control the heat to suit your taste.
Coconut Curry Sablefish
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 4 Sizzlefish Sablefish Fillets
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Scallions, sliced with the whites separated from the greens
- 1 TBSP Freshly Minced Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 Medium Carrot, shredded
- 1 cup Frozen Peas, thawed
- 1 13oz can Coconut Milk or Lite Coconut Milk
- 2 TBSP Red Curry Paste
- 1 Lime, zested and juiced
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Season the sablefish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil on medium heat.
- Sear the sablefish for 3 minutes or until browned. Carefully flip the fillets once they sear enough to release from the pan and brown on the other side; about 3 minutes. Allow to cook through.
- Once cooked, remove the sablefish from the pan and place on a plate while you prepare the sauce.
- Next, place the garlic, white part of the sliced scallions, ginger, and turmeric into the warm pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat or until reduced by about 1/3 and thickened. Be careful not to cook the coconut milk on a high heat or it will curdle. You’ll know you’ve reached the point where it has thickened when you slide the spoon or spatula on the bottom of the pan and it takes a few seconds for the sauce to come back together. Add the fresh lime juice and zest. Cook for 1 minute.
- To plate, serve with white rice, spoon the coconut curry sauce on the plate, place the seared sablefish on the sauce and garnish with peas, carrots, scallion greens and freshly chopped cilantro.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.