This recipe for Grilled Sablefish Gyros is the perfect family meal. Build your own platters are a fun way to casually gather around the table to enjoy delicious food while hanging out with your family.
Don’t let the ingredient list scare you off from making this recipe. Trust us, this meal is far easier to make than it looks and does not disappoint in the flavor department. Sablefish (also known regionally as Black Cod) is a mild, white flaky delicacy that is packed with the same levels of omega-3s as salmon. Its velvety texture, perfect white flakiness, and sweet flavor make it a rich meal experience that pairs perfectly with the smokiness from the grill in this recipe. Served with the slightly charred vegetables wrapped in a warm pita with a drizzle of the cool refreshing tzatziki sauce…mmmm, trust us, you need to make this!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
- ½ Large English Cucumber, unpeeled and finely grated
- 1 cup Yogurt, Greek-style for thicker sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ¼ cup Finely Chopped Fresh Dill
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 TBSP Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Spice Rub Ingredients
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 4 Sizzlefish Sablefish Fillets
- 2 Red Peppers, medium sliced
- 1 Red Onion, medium sliced
- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Lemon Wedges
- Pita Bread or Lettuce (for low carb wrap)
- Artichoke Hearts
- Pitted Marinated Black and Green Olives
- Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- In a small bowl, finely grate the cucumber with the skin on. You should get about 1 cup of grated cucumber. Next, place the grated cucumber in a fine-mesh strainer placed on top of a small bowl to drain. Press the liquid from the cucumber and drain well. You will be left with about ¼ cup of cucumber. When the cucumber is drained, put it in a medium bowl. Add the yogurt to the cucumber along with the garlic, dill, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Stir well to combine. Refrigerate while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the spice rub ingredients.
- Pat the sablefish fillets dry. Next, rub the spice mixture all over the fillets.
- Oil the grill grates well. Heat the grill to medium-high. When the grill is heated, place the fillets on the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes without moving. When the fillets are golden brown and move easily, flip them and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. The fillets should reach 135 degrees.
- While the sablefish is grilling, lightly oil the sliced red peppers and onion. Salt and pepper to taste. Place the vegetables on the grill and cook until just tender and slightly charred.
- To serve, arrange your ingredients on the platter layering them as you like. Serve warm with pita and tzatziki sauce.